8: Round and Round […and Round]
- Steve Reich – Clapping Music, Come Out, Piano Phase
- Paul Lansky – Idle Chatter, just_more_idle_chatter, Notjustmoreidlechatter
- Alvin Lucier – I am sitting in a room
- Steve Reich – Music as a Gradual Process in Cox & Warner, 2004, Audio Culture: Readings in Modern Music
Discussion of lecture material.
Discuss history and other manifestations of minimalism:
The origins of musical minimalism: Erik Satie: The Unsent Letters of Erik Satie
From German Expressionism, Futurism, Cubism, etc.
Relevant major essay title: “Compare Steve Reich’s ‘Come Out’, ‘Pendulum Music’ and Alvin Lucier’s ‘I am sitting in a room’ as examples of process music.”
Also discuss other essay titles.
- Understanding the difference between knowledge transformation and knowledge telling
- Developing an individual voice
- Constructing a bibliography, and using quotations / references in Harvard style